I knew as soon as I saw the runner that I would have to make it. So, I rummaged through my fabric stash for Christmas material. Not quite enough. Shopping trip in order. Eventually, I made it to one of our local fabric stores and was completely wooed by fat quarters in autumn hues of gold, burgandy, orange, and green!! OK, so there's lots of time before Christmas, right? I bought the autumn fabric instead and made this:
The binding strip is the first one I've done that's cut on the bias. That was fun- and not half as much trouble as I imagined. Although I must have calculated incorrectly, since I should have had enough material for a 2.5 inch wide strip, but ended up cutting it an inch narrower to ensure I had enough! Sewing the binding strip by hand on the back always takes me ages, and it took a couple of free hours last night to finish it off.
I experimented with "stippling" while I quilted, using a varigated thread. I also did a little of free-motion quilting with my darning foot, and it turned out OK, I think. My quilting skill is still a work in progress!
The autumn version of this runner must have been meant to be, as Kathy has teased her blog readers with a new Christmas table runner that I think I'll do instead. Or maybe I'll make both of them. But, first, I need to finish my sweater. I've started the second sleeve.... projecting to have it done by the end of the long weekend (hey, I can always dream!!).