Saturday, December 9, 2006

Waiting for Santa...


We just got home from the annual "China Adoption" Christmas Party. It was our second year attending.

Last year, we had only been in the process of adopting for about one year. We were on a wait list to start our province's preadoption education course and homestudy, and we knew that we were no where near to being referred our child. But, we wanted to go to the party to meet other families with children from China, and to put faces to names of people who are active in our local "internet-connected" adoption community. As well, we wanted our daughters, who were then aged 6 & 8, to meet the kids that they would probably be interacting with for a long time to come.

This year, we're a bona fide "waiting family". Our dossier is done, our provincial approval complete, and we're simply waiting for China to send us the proposal for our child. Our girls had a good time with the kids around their ages that they now know a bit better, and we saw 3 new little faces who were still living in China when we were at the party last year.

That's really the best part for me right now... seeing all of these beautiful children and knowing that the process *does* work and, after all the effort and time, our child will come home...hopefully, in time for next year's Christmas party!

I count myself so lucky to have such a supportive adoption community in this province. I know that not everyone needs the same level of social support, but I can honestly say that I don't know if I'd still be sane without it. I am very grateful to all those who have "been-there-done-that" and have always been willing to share their experience and advice. Even after having completed their own families, many parents have been willing to put themselves "out there" to help the families following behind navigate through the often turbulent waters of adoption!

In my next post, I'll tell you more about one of these very generous people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carolyn, I love the name of your blog! Great story!

kim
Clarenville

Carolyn said...

Thanks, Kim- I find that I am really liking being a "blogger"!
C.