Saturday, September 22, 2007

Something's Wrong in PEI...


Remember this famous orphan who lived in PEI?

Well, it turns out that if Anne found herself under the auspices of today's Children and Family Services, her story might not be so charming.

International adoption appears to be under some kind of attack in our country's smallest province. A province which, ironically, is seeking to recruit new immigrants to the province to increase their dwindling population.

Families have horror stories to tell concerning their dealings with the bureaucrats responsible for adoption- stories which I hope some of them will be willing to speak about in a very public way. Stories about referrals for children being refused by the Province without the family ever being notified, stories about a perplexing attitude concerning the adoption of children from other countries, stories about a bureaucracy too suspicious of adoption agencies to permit the agencies to match children with medical needs to their families in PEI.

Yes, something is definitely askew in that beautiful province. I'll post more as I get more information.

6 comments:

Anne Marie said...

How terrible! I hope that everyone in the PEI adoption community is able to make themselves heard!

Cavatica said...

I'm sorry to hear that! I hope this gets worked out.

BTW, I loved those books.

Carolyn said...

Unfortunately, the PEI adoption community is rather small (like the rest of the population!). SO, they will need outside help to make it clear to their politicians that this situation is unacceptable. I'll be posting a letter on my blog within a few days that people can "borrow" if they would like to add their voices.

RoLo said...

This doesnt sounds good.....

4D said...

Scary. I hope it is resolved soon.

Keep smilin!

redmaryjanes said...

Carolyn,
This sounds awful. I'll be glad to help get the word out.