Saturday, March 31, 2007

Celebrating Multiculturalism!




Last week, we celebrated multiculturalism in Newfoundland & Labrador. One of the events was a 3-day Multicultural Fair, open to the general public for one day, and then to elementary and junior high school students for 2 days. It was the 8th year for the fair, which has been growing every year.

This year was the first for NLFAM- Newfoundland & Labrador Families Adopting Multiculturally- to have a booth at the Fair. I've attached are a few pictures of members on "opening day".

I was on the booth last Tuesday- and it was a hoot! You never know what kids will ask you. One little boy asked me where my kid was from. I told him that we have a little boy who is living in China, and that we hope to be able to bring him home by August. Then he said, "Well. Do you have a picture of him?"!!! Of course I did...
I was happy to show him and he seemed happy to see it!

It is so wonderful to see the growth and celebration of multiculturalism in this province. As recent as 10 years ago or so, it was so much rarer to see very many non-white families in a lot of places in the province, much alone multicultural or transracial families! Currently, there are growing numbers of international students at the university, and the provincial government has just announced a strategy for attracting and retaining immigrants in the province. It's all good.

3 comments:

Anne Marie said...

I'm glad things are changing and that you are an agent for that change in many ways! Go, Carolyn!

"M2" said...

ditto what anne marie said...
wish our neck of the woods would get with the program/I guess I will have to start it up.

4D said...

Great job!

Keep smilin!