Friday, March 7, 2008

Paper-Piecing

While I was off on parental leave this fall, I took a 5 week quilting course at our fabulous (and only!) local quilt shop. This was, of course, to make DX's One Hundred Good Wishes Quilt. I found that I enjoyed the sewing so much, that I bought a sewing machine from the shop- my sweet little "Bernette" (the lower end of the Bernina line).

Well, our machines came with a free sewing class once a month in the new year. I missed the first February class, but went this week to the March class. Here is what I learned to do:


It's a paper-pieced square- kind of cute, if I do say so myself. I learned to machine-applique the eggs also.


Last night, I added a border, so now it looks like this:


I cut the green border on the bias, since I only had a 8" square of it. It's the first time I've worked with a bias-cut, so it's not exactly perfect (but I also don't have it laying perfectly flat so it's actually not as distorted on the lower left as it appears in this picture).

I'm trying to decide what to do with it. Stop here with a backing and a binding? Add another border? Make another one and have a pair!?! Oh, the possibilities!

5 comments:

redmaryjanes said...

You are doing a really good job! Your box came today for the Starfish babies! Thank you so much, there are so many great clothes!

wzgirl said...

Those look GREAT!!!! nice job.

Wendy said...

Very Nice!!!

FDChief said...

Lovely! My wife is a protoquilter and had lots of nice things to say about this little piece.

Tracey and Mike said...

You lucky gal - how do you find time to quilt?!!! You should add more squares (bunny, chickies, etc) and make it into a nice decorative Easter quilt/wall hanging. Since you've got so much time on your hands! ;)